School councils play a key role in Victorian government schools. The school council supports the principal to provide the best possible educational outcomes for students, and have three main responsibilities:
1: Finance – overseeing the development of the school’s annual budget and ensuring proper records are kept of the school’s financial operation.
2: Strategic Planning – participating in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan.
3: Policy Development and Review – developing, reviewing and updating policies that reflect a school’s values and support the school’s broad direction outlined in its strategic plan.
Other key functions of school councils include:
- raising funds for school-related purposes
- maintaining school grounds and facilities
- entering into contracts
- reporting annually to the school community and the Department
- representing and taking the views of the community into account
- regulating and facilitating after-hours use of school premises and grounds
- operating a children’s service at the school.
More information is available on School Councils here.
SCHOOL REPORTS AND PUBLICATIONS: